group policies under win98

Andrew Bell samba at usd299.k12.ks.us
Sat Dec 4 17:52:14 GMT 1999

I am having a problem setting up group policies under windows 98.  I think I
have successfully set them up, it just that when a user logs in, it doesn't
seem to know that a user is part of that group...  I know that the
config.pol file is being downloaded from the server, because I'll make
changes to the default user and the changes will take effect.  I even tried
deletelying the default user and it still says that it logged in with
privlege USER.  I have searched all through the logs and have found other
people who have had this similiar problem, but I could not find an
explanation/solution to this problem.  Any help would be greatly
appreciated.  I am also sending my smb.conf and group file.  Everything
seems to work except for the policies.

Andrew Bell
Systems Administrator
USD 299

[global]
    interfaces = 129.130.86.250/255.255.252.0
    domain master = yes
    domain logons = yes
    preferred master = yes
    logon path = \\%L\profiles
    server string = Samba Server
    workgroup = Computers
    passwd chat = *New*UNIX*password* %n\n*ReType*new*UNIX*password*
%n\n*passwd:*all*authentication*tokens*updated*successfully*
    logon script = %U.bat
    netbios name = Samba
    case sensitive = no
    debug timestamp = yes
    dead time = 0
    log file = /var/log/samba/users/%U.log
    max log size = 50
    time server = yes
    dns proxy = no
    logon home = \\%L\%U
    preserve case = yes
    map to guest = never
    passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
    hosts allow = 129.130.86. 127.
    unix password sync = yes
    local master = yes
    load printers = no
    security = user
    short preserve case = yes
    os level = 34
    wins support = yes
    debug level = 0
    encrypt passwords = no
    password level = 0
    null passwords = no

[homes]
    comment = Home Directories
    browseable = no
    writeable = yes
    valid users = @admins @teachers @students
    guest ok = yes

[netlogon]
    comment = Network Logon Service
    path = /home/samba/netlogon
    guest ok = no
    writeable = no
    share modes = no
    root preexec = /home/samba/netlogon/%G %U %m %L
    root postexec = rm /home/samba/netlogon/%U.bat
    browseable = yes
    public = no
    locking = no
    preserve case = yes
    case sensitive = no
    default case = yes

[Profiles]
    path = /home/samba/profiles/%U
    root preexec = /bin/mkdir /home/samba/profiles/%U; \
                   /bin/chown %U /home/samba/profiles/%U; \
                   /bin/chmod 700 /home/samba/profiles/%U
    browseable = yes
    guest ok = yes
    comment = User Profiles