Samba Installation

Bernd Petrovitsch bernd at ict.tuwien.ac.at
Thu Aug 19 14:36:23 GMT 1999

In message <Pine.GSO.4.05.9908191015430.4626-100000 at merlin.vipxlnet.com>,
Jean-
Marc Beaudoin wrote:
>For two days now I am trying to find some concise and precise
>documentation on 'how to configure samba'.

I'm sorry but there is no concise documentation on configuring samba
possible (though the man page is precise) - hmm, precise documentation
is seldom concise, but that's another problem.
Not that samba is so complicated (actually it is I suppose,
but that not the reason for it ;-), but samba maps Win* features to Un*x
functionality and the other way round. Therefore lots of configuration
options are necessary.
Further there are lots of different SMB dialects (read : versions of Win)
out there.
Heterogenous networking IS complicated ....

	Bernd

--
 Bernd Petrovitsch               Institute of Computer Technology
 Gußhausstraße 25-29, A-1040 Vienna Email: bernd at ict.tuwien.ac.at
 "Der Horizont vieler Menschen ist ein Kreis mit Radius Null -
  und das nennen sie ihren Standpunkt."               A. Einstein