share named cd$

Tulipánt Gergely tulipant-gergely at dbrt.hu
Thu Aug 19 15:02:17 GMT 1999

I used to have a share named cd$ that prevented me from upgrading to Samba 2.0.x.
Now that I've figured this out finally, I renamed it to cdrom$ and it works.

Having a share named cd$ caused my NT4SP5 not to be able to browse/net view the Samba
server: I got error 1728 A remote procedure call (RPC) protocol error occurred.
When I set "nt pipe support = no" and "nt smb support = no", this problem went away, but the
95 client then found the shares to be empty. O?O

Can anybody explain this behaviour?