samba-2.0.4b/NT4.0(SP3): share name (PR#19444)

Jeremy Allison jallison at cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Wed Aug 4 16:50:46 GMT 1999

szcathay at public.szonline.net wrote:

> Hello, everyone. Could you help me to solve the problems?
>
> Recently I downloaded samba-2.0.4b souce and after I compiled it, I used it
> as
> a replace of samba-1.9.18p8.
> The smb.conf file was used as before. But there are two problems to me.
> 1)When I used samba-1.9.18p8, the Windows NT4.0(sp3) workstation can browse
> the share names of Japanese SJIS, but now I couldn't access the shares
> because
> the names appeared to be unreadable by Japanese Windows NT 4.0 in spite of
> the "client code page = 932" was set in smb.conf. The strange thing is that
> Windows 95 can access the shares which contains Japanese Characters.
> 2)To avoid the above problem I had to use single byte character for all the
> shares. But when the share name is more than 12 characters, the client
> cannot
> access the share too. It seems that samba provide DOS8.3 format share name.
> How to set the samba-2.0.4b to use long filenames for shares and use double-
> byte characters for shares?

To make double-byte sharenames work with Samba 2.0.x
you'll need to turn off NT SMB support, to cause NT
to request the sharenames via the old IPC interface
rather than the new RPC interface.

The problem is that the codepage -> UNICODE translation
isn't correct for any non-ascii language in any of the
current Samba code (any CVS branch), I am working on
fixing this before the next release.

Sorry for the problem,

Regards,

	Jeremy Allison,