Win95, sharing printers and drives

Stephen L Arnold arnold.steve at ensco.com
Tue Apr 6 22:31:04 GMT 1999

When the world was young, Roland Thienpont
<roland.thienpont at worldonline.be> carved some runes like this:

> I have two computers ROLAND (RedHat 5.2 and Samba) and LINDA
> (Windows95).
>
> I am already able to print on the printer connacted to LINDA. Yesterday,
> before I managed to get the printer working, I was alos able to see
> ROLAND's directory 'tmp' and 'winD' on LINDA.
>
> The problem that I saw this morning was that the printing still works but
> LINDA can no longer see the shares of ROLAND:-(
>
> I have the results of smbclient -L linda and smbclient -L roland
> attached to this mail. Any idea if the install of a network printer may
> have caused the problem?
[snip]

As you can see from your smbclient output, your windoze box (Linda)
is the master browser (probably not what you want).  Disable the
browse master stuff on the windoze side (File & Printer Sharing
properties) and set the samba OS level to 33.  You should also set
local/domain master (and probably preferred master) to yes.  Then
do a:

/etc/rc.d/init.d/smb restart

from a shell prompt (as root).  You should be in business.

Hope this helps, Steve