username map problem

Ben Kelley ben_kelley at wdr.com
Mon Sep 28 22:01:36 GMT 1998

Hi.

I would suggest upgrading to 1.9.18p10.

I'm not sure if 1.9.18p8 has this problem, but 1.9.18p9 certainly did.
There was a bug that meant that Samba would try to verify your username
and password (against your password server) using your supplied
password, and your _mapped_ user name, rather than your supplied
password and your _supplied_ user name. This bug is fixed in 1.9.18p10.

Of course, there could be another problem, in that the "administrator"
account may be a local account to the workstation, and may not exist on
your password server. In our environment here, that is certainly the
case. If you want to log in as administrator on a worstation, you have
to make sure it is a local login, rather than a domain login. If you
were to connect to a Samba share, you would be refused, as Samba would
try to verify your password against the password server, which wouldn't
recognise your password. If you can log into the workstation as
administrator using a domain login, then this is not your problem.

                    - Ben Kelley.

Ben Kelley - ben_kelley at wdr.com
Phone +61 2 9324 2382    Fax +61 2 9324 2400

Internet        - http://i.am/ben_kelley
SBCWDR Intranet - http://syddevwww/People/Ben_Kelley.html
Warburg Dillon Read, Level 24, 1 Farrer Place, Sydney, 2000 Australia