Samba and NIS

Neil Robertson neil.robertson at greendown.demon.co.uk
Tue Sep 15 07:43:14 GMT 1998

Dear All,

I am attempting to set up Samba 1.9.18p8 on a Sun E450 running Solaris
2.6.  The Sun is configured as a NIS master serving a number of other
Unix machines.  It is our primary development platform acting as a NIS
client and also has auto mounted home directories for users.

Samba has been built using GCC 2.8.1 with the following options set:

FLAGSM = -DSUNOS5 -DSHADOW_PWD -DAUTOMOUNT -DFAST_SHARE_MODES
LIBSM = -lsocket -lnsl

It is possible to connect to the Sun from NT and Windows 95 without any
problems.  However, it seems that Samba is not validating the user
account from the yp passwd maps.  Each user connects as user 'nobody'
using the guest account as defined in the smb.conf configuration file
and, consequently, only has read-only permissions even though their home
directory has been auto mounted correctly.  User names are the same for
Windows95/NT as those for Unix.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I'm doing wrong and how I
can get Samba to access the NIS maps?

SMB.CONF
=========

[global]
   auto services = homes printers
   dead time = 5
   guest account = nobody
   load printers = yes
   mangled map = (*.html *.htm)
   printer name  = lp
   printcap name = /usr/local/samba/printcap
   public = yes
   workgroup = AXIOM

[root]
   comment = Home Directories