SAMBA digest 1809

Richard L Hoesly Rich-Hoesly at uai.com
Fri Sep 11 23:57:10 GMT 1998

> From: Gary Stainburn <gary.stainburn at ringways.co.uk>
> Subject: smbtar multiple machines
>
> Hi all,
>
> I'm just looking at using smbtar to backup the Win95 PC's on my network, and would like usability ideas please.
>
> The tape drive I intend to use is in our RS6000 and has a capacity of 20GB before compression which means that I will be able to fit plenty of PC's onto one tape as all the PC's have <3GB HD's on them.
>
> The problem I have is how do I get multiple tar's onto one tape?  I could tar them all to disk, and then put them all onto tape as one big tar file but then I would need 20+GB of disk space which would be expensive and wasteful.
>
> The tapes are #50 each, so I don't want to do 1PC -> 1 tape (also unattended backups would be impossible).
>
> If possible I would like the backup of the PC's to be tagged onto the end of the backup of the RS.
>
> Has anyone got any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Gary

Try looking at a backup package called AMANDA. It if free and

has a great support structure much like SAMBA. It runs on UNIX and

will automatically invoke SAMBA to back up PC's. It will do

Full or Incremental backups and automatically figures out what to

do to average tape utilization over a period of days. Has lots of

other bells and whistles to.

Home page is at www.cs.umd.edu/projects/amanda/amanda.html.

I use if for all my UNIX and PC's and it works great.

  Richard L. Hoesly                            Phone: 310-214-2922
  Directory of Software Systems                FAX:   310-214-3420
  Universal Analytics, Inc.                    Email: rich at uai.com
  3625 Del Amo Blvd., Suite 370
  Torrance, California 90503