Win98 & Samba

Sarma Seetamraju sarma at usa.net
Thu Sep 10 06:48:29 GMT 1998

I had win95 and things were really nice with an old version of Samba.
But I was forced to upgrade to Win98 for reasons that are outside the
topic of this digest.

I can CREATE / DELETE directories with Capital letters, but cannot touch
any with mixed case or lower case.
Please note that we are dealing with directories ALREADY on linux, which
are being server to Win98 client.
Also, all files with mixed/lower case cannot be opened.
But strangely, I can open ANY file with its name in any case, if its in the
ROOT
of each mount.

The exact same Samba server program works fine with NT/SP1 and NT/SP3.

So, the problem is with Win98.   I tried setting "case sensitive = no" but it
didn't
help.
   preserve case = yes
   short preserve case = yes