WINS problem discovered and fixed!! browsing speedup of 20X for large networks

Eric Warnke eric at
Wed Sep 9 01:37:06 GMT 1998

Ok, after several months of pulling my hair out I finally fixed WINS and
browsing at out Univesity.  It ended up being an acutal bug, er bad code
segment.  To explain we have a large number of clients ~1000+ at any one
time over 6 subnets.  Browsing was spuratic at best.  nmbd sucked up %70
of the proccessing power of a sparc 5.  Well after serious investigation
I traced it down to two lines of code in nmbd_winsserver.c.

in function





My first hack worked.  I commented them out.  Processing time went down
to >1% and responce time probably went up by at least 20X.  Browsing
works better than I have ever expected.  Before I did this I had tried
everything, 1.9.18p10, linux boxes as lbm's, and 2.0alpha.

If you have more than 100 clients this is a must have!!!

I'm not a developer, but these changes MUST be re-integrated into the
code.  This will fix amny problems with browsing.  WINS was spending 99%
of it's time writing out it's database to file.  I am currently using
2.0alpha, but I may go back to as soon as I know that my patches
will work.

I would like to hear others with large network and how things work after
applying these patches.

Eric Warnke
System Admin, ResNet
University at Albany, NY
eric at

More information about the samba mailing list