Connecting to Samba through Windows 95

Ben Kelley ben_kelley at wdr.com
Wed Sep 9 00:05:08 GMT 1998

Hi.

I realise this does not answer your question (I'm not sure how to
specify a different user name in win 95), but it might get you going.

You can specify a user name map in Samba that tells it to map the client
user name to a user name on the Samba server. Perhaps you could just map
the user names that people are using on Windows 95 to the user names you
use on your Samba server?

We are using server security (validating against an NT server), and
someone (in their infinite) wisdom keeps assigning different user names
for our NT servers, and our Sun servers (we are running Samba on Sun
machines). In this situation, the user name map is quite handy.

            - Ben Kelley.

Ben Kelley - ben_kelley at wdr.com
Phone +61 2 9324 2382    Fax +61 2 9324 2400

Internet        - http://i.am/ben_kelley
SBCWDR Intranet - http://syddevwww/People/Ben_Kelley.html
Warburg Dillon Read, Level 24, 1 Farrer Place, Sydney, 2000 Australia