Browsing remote domains possible ?

Steffen Einsle steffen at shark.mayn.de
Sun Oct 18 13:10:25 GMT 1998

Hello to all,

BROWSING and WINS-problem:

I currently have set up about 10 or 12 separated networks using Linux
2.0.35/Samba 1.19.xx.
Using Isdn4Linux I have set up static routes to our central office server
(same config).
My networks use an IP range of 192.168.xx.0/24 where xx is different for
every network.
The IP configuration works fine now (I can telnet without any problems,
dialling, connect...)
Clients are mostly Win95 (and a few Win3.11) machines using LM-file sharing.
I have set up each server to be PDC and WINS server for that local network
ONLY.
Thus browsing in the local network works just fine.

I want to be able to include the remote domains in my local browse-list
without having
to resync every then and now. I want to connect to the remote network ONLY
when a direct
access to the remote PDC (or remote browse list) is made.
I know I can't see the remote browse-list without connection, of course, but
currently
when I contact a remote server (by //server-name) the remote domain-name is
added to my
local database but access is denied
"No access to (remote-domain-name). The computer or share with this name
cannot be found"

I can access every share on the remote server just fine, but I cannot access
the remote
browse list.

After I disconnect from the remote server also the remote domain-name
disappears from my
local browse-list (that is ok for me, although annoying)

Here my config: (all remote servers have similar configs: different
workgroup= and different
                 ip-addresses, 192.168.123.x, 192.168.124.x, ...)

[global]
   workgroup = LOCAL_DOMAIN
   domain master = no
   domain logons = yes