Problems with 1.9.18 and DAVE 2.0 on MacOS 8.1

Donald Gaffney gaffney at salus.med.uvm.edu
Thu Mar 5 18:35:55 GMT 1998

Hello Fellow Samba Users,

I recently had a report from a user accessing our Samba
1.9.18p2 server via a DAVE 2.0 client on MacOS 8.1.

The error he encounters is the failure of Adobe's PageMill
application to save to the same file name on multiple tries.
That is, he saves the document, and it works, then saves it
again and it fails with the error "File or Folder cannot be
found."

The problem also occurs with MacOS 8.0 and Samba 1.9.17p4 (all
permutations). The problem does not occur on a mounted Win95
volume. The problem does not occur on any system with SimpleText.

The service is as follows:

[cats]
   comment = Web Pages
   path = /space/cats
   public = no
   browseable = no
   guest only = no
   writable = no
   printable = no
   locking = yes
   share modes = yes
   create mask = 0774
   mangle case = no
   preserve case = yes
   default case = lower
   short preserve case = yes
   case sensitive = yes
   force group = bgroup
   valid users = auser, at agroup, at bgroup,buser,cuser,duser
   write list = auser, at agroup, at bgroup,buser,cuser,duser

Any thoughts? (I have a log at 5 to poke through, which I'll
get to RSN.)

Thanks,
-Don