Password changing from Win95

Mark Hodge mark at byford.com
Tue Jun 30 09:30:21 GMT 1998

Hi samba users,

I've finally got password changing from Win95 (with unix sync) working :-)  (nice one Jeremy).

The only snag now is that I can't set a password less than 5 characters from the control panel
-> passwords dialogue.

If I use smbpasswd (with no unix sync) or passwd from a telnet session, I can set a password
as short as 1 character no problem. But if I use smbpasswd with unix sync, it needs to be 5 or
more.

I've changed the entry in login.defs for minimum password length = 3 but can't figure this one
out.
I am using Slackware 3.5 with Samba 1.9.18p8.

Any clues would be appreciated.

Mark.

 Mark P Hodge, Technical Consultant
 Byford Computer Services Ltd., Manchester, UK
 tel:+44(0)161-7779224  mailto:mark at byford.com
 fax:+44(0)161-7779552   http://www.byford.com