Problem with mapping, userid that gets sent by NT

Nathan Neulinger nneul at umr.edu
Fri Jun 26 15:40:51 GMT 1998

I am having a problem with mapping drives to a samba server (1.9.18p4 and
1.9.17) that is very reproducible. The 1.9.18p4 is a modified server that
has some special krb5 support in it (in addition to the stuff you
previously added that I sent you).

Here are two examples that are repeatable. Each is preceeded by killing
any samba daemons that are for connections from the host in question.

Type 1:
	<Map Drive>
		Share: \\samba01\install
		User: <leave blank>
	<OK>
		attempts to connect as 'machinename'
		attempts to connect as 'loginname' (administrator)
	Puts up userid/pass dialog
		User: <anything>
		Pass: my password
	Attempts to connect as guest. NEVER sends the userid I entered.
	Impossible to map drive at this point unless I kill the smbd.

Type 2:
	<Map Drive>
		Share: \\samba01\install
		User: myuserid
	<OK>
		attempts to connect as 'administrator'
	Puts up userid/pass dialog
		User: <anything>
		Pass: my password
	Attempts to connect as myuserid. NEVER sends the userid I entered.
	Always maps as 'myuserid'.

Type 3:
	Double click shortcut to a previously mapped drive
		attempts to connect as 'machinename'
		attempts to connect as 'administrator'
	Puts up userid and password box
		whatever
	Impossible to map drive at this point

Looking at sniffer output, it is clear that the userid from the second
panel is never sent, UNLESS I kill the smbd while the user/pass
box is up, and then click ok. If I do that, it does send that userid.

Also, if I map to a share that directly translates to a userid instead of
to 'install', it tries that userid and is able to map the drive, but the
problem still exists.

It looks like a workable way to get this to function properly would be to
have the smbd drop the connection whenever it sends a 'bad password'
response. That would force the client to reconnect, and send the correct
password.

Is there any fix for this problem, or do you have any suggestions as to
how I might correct it?

Here is the relevant sections of my config:

-----------------------------
[global]
   guest account = smb1918
   syslog only = yes
   syslog = 5
   debug level = 1
   printing = lprng
   printcap = /dev/null
   workgroup = SAMBA
   wins server = 131.151.37.116
   status = yes
   browseable = yes
   preserve case = yes
   mangle case = no
   short preserve case = yes
   oplocks = no
   share modes = no
   locking = no
   revalidate = true
   deadtime = 4

[install]
   comment = Install
   path = /afs/umr.edu/software/ntprod/install
   read only = no
   public = no
   guest ok = no
   browseable = yes