smbmount from samba-1.9.18p8, Linux-2.1.107 and no joy

Joerg Pommnitz pommnitz at darmstadt.gmd.de
Fri Jun 26 15:00:26 GMT 1998

Hello all,
after hacking around to get smbmount and smbmnt to get
compiled on RedHat-5.1 I'm unable to use them.
With the stock RedHat kernel and the old smbmount I used
the following command line:
smbmount //rho/homes /mnt/smb/homes -c pc-topaz -U pommnitz -u pommnitz
-P mypassword

Everything works fine this way (with 2.0.34). With 2.1.107
the new smbmount is required. As I said, after some hacking
to work around the problems with glibc-2.0, I got a smbmount
binary. What is the equivalent command line to the one give above.

The funny thing is, it rejects all attempts to connect
with either ERRnoaccess or ERRbadpw without even bothering to
ask for a password (I suspect it tries to be to smart).

Any help would be very welcome. As an aside note: I'm able
to list the resources on the target machine with the RedHat-5.1
supplied smbclient (Version 1.9.18p5).
--
Regards
       Joerg