Windows app, MKS Source Integrity, Samba, and Unix

Charlie Brady cbrady at ind.tansu.com.au
Fri Jun 19 05:45:33 GMT 1998

On Fri, 19 Jun 1998, Cameron, Steve wrote:

> However, the windows box is completely oblivious to changes made on the unix
> side unless I disconnect the unix share prior to making any changes on the
> unix side, then reconnect it for windows access.  In other words, it's
> completely unsafe it would seem to use Unix and windows to access the same
> files during a samba session.

Correct. Until Unix kernel APIs change so that samba can be notified of
changes (and I guess Linux would be the first to make the change, although
I haven't seen it yet) then you can expect this to stay the case.

> Is there some way I can do what I want?  (i.e. tell samba not to allow the
> Windows box to be so over-zealous about caching?)

Make sure that you have oplocks disabled for the share in question. You
will pay a performance penalty on the Windoze side, of course.

I don't know how reliable Windoze is at not caching stuff which it
shouldn't.

Charlie Brady - Telstra  |internet: cbrady at ind.tansu.com.au
Network Products         |Snail    : Locked Bag 6581, GPO Sydney 2001 Australia
Platform Technologies    |Physical : Lvl 2, 175 Liverpool St, Sydney 2000
 IN-Sub Unit - Sydney    | Phone: +61 2 9206 3470 Fax: +61 2 9281 1301