run scripts on samba server

Geza Makay makayg at math.u-szeged.hu
Thu Jun 11 04:46:04 GMT 1998

>I have a network with Win95 clients and a samba-server 1.9.18p3 on Linux
2.033. Linux is only used as serversystem, clientusers are nonfamiliar with
Linux.

>Sometimes it would be usefull, to start a program or script on the server
from the client. This can be done via telnet, but I'd like to know if there
is some sort of call implemented in samba to start a script on the server
without login into Linux. Before I used samba, I had a dosbased
serversystem where I could open a file on the server with a certain
open-modus and the file would then be executed on the server. This is
aproximately what I'm thinking about.

Look at the "magic script" and "magic output" options in the smb.conf manual.

Geza

*           Name: Geza Makay                                            *
*      Institute: Jozsef Attila University of Szeged                    *
*           Mail: Bolyai Institute, Aradi vertanuk tere 1.              *
*                 H-6720, Szeged, Hungary                               *
*            Tel: (62) 454-091 (Hungary's code: 36)                     *
*    Fax/Message: (62) 326-246 (Hungary's code: 36)                     *
*         E-mail: makayg at math.u-szeged.hu                               *
* World Wide Web: http://www.math.u-szeged.hu/                          *