Favorite print command for SAMBA on Sol 2.5.1

Jochen Eggemann jeggema at gwdg.de
Tue Jun 9 14:23:44 GMT 1998

>  12) Favorite print command for SAMBA on Sol 2.5.1
> Date: Mon, 08 Jun 1998 12:23:37 -0700
> From: Dave <dburwell at telecom.com>
> To: samba at samba.anu.edu.au, sun-managers at ra.mcs.anl.gov
> Cc: dburwell at telecom.com
> Subject: Favorite print command for SAMBA on Sol 2.5.1
>
>   I am having problems with the HP printers that are being handled by a
> Solaris 2.5.1 machine. The boring details are towards the end.
SNIPP ... some deleting done
> The REAL Problem:
>   A queue will choke on a print job submitted by a client. The job will sit
> at the top of the queue, and all other jobs will queue up behind it. Power
> cycling the printer has no effect. I have to do a lprm -P<printer>, on the
> server, to clear that job off the top of the queue, and then the remaining
> jobs will print without problems.
>   OR - A one page document, will print an infinite number of copies. (NOT
> PS code, but real copies of that one page document, like the user selected
> 10000 as the number to print).
SNIPP .... some deleting done

> dburwell at telecom.com
> Dave

Hi Dave!

 I had the same problems you mentioned. Print jobs, especially
miniaturized graphics from Excel, went into an endless printing fit
and had to be lprm'ed on the Solaris machine. Then I happend to read
about a solution. I don't remember where or who wrote it so I can't
give credit to anyone.

Solution for Solaris 2.5.1 :

run Jetadmin under Solaris
a. Open the Configuration
b. Modify existing spooler queue(s)
c. select a queue
d. Additional printer changes
e. set True End Of Job to OFF !!!

I tried this, and it seems to have helped in our environment:
Solaris 2.5.1 and Samba 1.9.18p7 with about 25 WIN95 clients.

Jochen

--
Jochen Eggemann      Phone: +49 551 69401-64
e-Mail: jeggema at gwdg.de