Problems with MSOffice 97 installation

Tomasz Jarosinski jarosins at is.fh-hamburg.de
Tue Jun 9 14:45:05 GMT 1998

Hello,
I am trying to use the cdrom from one Sun server for software
installation on NT Clients. I am using samba 1.9.18p7 on solaris 2.5.1
Here is my smb.conf:
[global]
   workgroup = WIWI
   server string = Windows NT Server 5.0
   debug level = 2
   log file = /opt/samba/var/log.%m
   max log size = 10
   socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY
   read prediction = yes
   interfaces = 141.22.103.100/24
   local master = yes
   os level = 100
   domain master = yes
   preferred master = yes
   wins support = yes
   wins proxy = yes
   dns proxy = yes
   protocol = NT1
   mangle case = yes
   mangled names = yes
   default case = lower
   case sensitive = no
   preserve case = yes
   short preserve case = yes
[homes]
   comment = HOMES
   browseable = no
   writable = yes
   path=/home/%u
   create mode = 0755
[apps]
   comment = APPS
   path = /export/win/apps
   public = yes
   writable = yes
   available = yes
   printable = no
   write list = ntadmin
   create mask = 0775
   #share modes = no
   #locking = no
[public]
   comment = PUBLIC
   path = /export/home1/public
   public = yes
   writable = yes
   printable = no
   write list = ntadmin, @mitarb
   create mask = 0775
[install]
   comment = INSTALL
   path = /export/win/install
   browseable = no
   public = yes
   writable = yes
   printable = no
   write list = ntadmin
   locking = no
   share modes = no
   create mask = 0775
[cdrom]
   comment = CDROM
   path = /cdrom/cdrom0
   browseable = no
   available = yes
   public = yes
   locking = no
   read only = yes
I am connecting exported cdrom with office97 pro inside as drive e: and
i am trying to make administration installation ( with e:\setup.exe /a)
on service APPS connected as drive i:. During installation i am getting
messages that three files cannot be read :
XLMAIN8.AW
WDMAIN8.AW
OUTHLP.AW
I am ignoring those messages and administration setup is complete. When
i am doing the same installation procedure, but usind cdrom exported by
one NT Client i have no any error messages, all files are readable. Is
there something wrong with my smb.conf, or is it one samba bug ?
Changing share modes and locking to no on the APPS is adviced for the
client installation but not for server installation.
Many greetings, Tomek