open access to a directory

Harper, Ian (IDH) ian.harper at vaisala.com
Mon Jun 8 09:55:01 GMT 1998

Peter Molettiere writes
>"Harper, Ian (IDH)" writes
>>Can anyone give me some advice, we have just set up a linux file
server
>>and we want to offer up a samba share of a directory, however we
want it
>>to be accessible by everyone even those who do not have an entry in
the
>>passwd file, can someone tell me what I need to do to acheive this
?

>>many thanks in advance.
>>
>>Ian
>>internal support engineer

>Try making your share public, and allowing guest access.

>[sharename]
>    public = yes
>    guest ok = yes

I have tried that and the Win95 Pc keeps reporting password incorrect,
looking at the debug log it appears that the user is trying to log on
with their user name 'TPH', if I do an smbclient with a -U tph and hit
return for the password it is reporting user details as 'nobody' which
is correct. Has anyone any ideas how to get a guest user on without
Win95 causing probs with usernames and passwords.

Ian