Password Server level authentication

PATTON James <Con> james.patton at mrwa.wa.gov.au
Mon Jun 8 12:53:38 GMT 1998

Hello all :-)

I have a Solaris 2.5.1  1.9.18p7 Samba server.  I want to use an NT 4.0
SP3 server to do all username and password authentication.

I have the following entries in the global section of the smb.conf file:

  [global]
  # workgroup = <Windows NT Domain Name>
      workgroup = DOMAIN01
  # The NetBIOS name by which the Solaris Samba server is known.
      netbios name = SMBSRV
  # I am unsure as to whether encrypt passwords should be set or not.
  # I have tried both commenting and uncommenting this setting, but
  # it doesn't seem to make any difference.
      encrypt passwords = yes
  #  smb passwd file = not set!

  # password server (G)
  # Use password server option only with security = server
  # NT4SERVER is the PDC.
     password server = NT4SERVER
     security = server

I have a share called "test" defined as follows.

  [test]
      comment = Test share
      user = valid
      force create mode = 775
      force directory mode = 775
      path = /usr/local/samba/mounts/test
      read only = no
      writable = yes
      public = no
      valid users = valid

When I browse SMBSRV on a Windows NT 4.0 SP3 workstation client I can
see the test share.  Good.

When I try to connect I am challenged for a username and password.  I
supply the username "valid" (which is a genuine username on the NT
Domain) and the correct password (all lower case).

NT responds with "Incorrect password or unknown username for
\\SMBSRV\test"

SMBSRV logs an error as follows:

    password server NT4SERVER rejected the password
    NT Password did not match ! Defaulting to Lanman

I have the registry key "EnablePlainTextPasswords" set on the WinNT 4.0
workstation client.

Please help.  This is driving me bananas.  Can anyone see anything
obvious that I am doing wrong?  Does anyone out there actually have a
working configuration similar to the one described above?  If so, please
tell me how, or at least give me a few clues so that I can head in the
right direction!!

Any comments, suggestions, ideas or feedback most welcome.

Thankyou

James Patton
Unix and NT Sys Admin
Main Roads Western Australia