Permissions

Christoph Müller mueller-dlg at t-online.de
Mon Jun 8 08:10:25 GMT 1998

>Date: Sun, 7 Jun 1998 21:06:53 +0200 (SAT)
>From: Jason Armstrong <jason at datrix.co.za>
>Subject: Permissions
>
>Hi Samba people
>
>I have been wondering about file permissions via Samba for a while, and if
>anyone could help me solve the following two problems, I would be grateful:
>
>System: Linux RedHat 4.2 (kernel 2.0.33)
>Samba : Version 1.9.18p3
>
> I want to set access permissions for everyone in a certain directory (777).
> The reason is that Windows and Macintosh users need to be able to access,
>  write, change .. the same files. No matter how I change these settings in
> smb.conf, I can't seem to get the files to be saved with world write
> permission. Relevant section from smb.conf :
>
>  ----
>  ; A publicly accessible directory,
>  [public]
>     comment = Public Stuff
>     path = /home/pub
>     public = yes
>     only guest = yes
>     writable = yes
>     printable = no
>     force create mode = 0777
>  ----
>
> I also seem to get a file's execute bit set whenever saving to the Linux box
>  from a Windows machine. How do I set it up that the files get saved with the
>  permissions that I specify?
>
> Thanks for any help.

Hi Jason,

you have set the parameter in smb.conf: force create mode = 0777, you also need to add:
force directory mode = 0777 (since samba 1.7 this one needs to be set separately, otherwise you will have problems as soon as a user creates a new directory).

The setting in smb.conf do not change existing files, only new files that are created, take a look at the current filepermission under UNIX, on the server side, try to use:
chmod [-R] guo+rwx directory, to initially set permissions for the whole directory

Maybe this will work,

Christoph Mueller
mueller-dlg at t-online.de