File Corruption in NT workstation but not Win95

Alan Fahrner alan at chelz.com
Thu Jul 30 13:02:22 GMT 1998

Hi again folks...

Just when I thought I had everything working great with samba mounts on an
AIX 4.3 machine (after a lot of testing with a Win95 box), I went to do
something quickly on a NT 4.0 workstation.

I had some intallation programs in the shared directory that I had used to
install programs on the Win95.  No problem.

I ran over to my boss' NT 4.0 workstation, opened the shared volume (no
problem), went to install -- oops, error executing the program.  So, I tried
to create a text file with notepad.  Looks fine.  Save.  Open.  Nothing
there.  When I look on the UNIX system, it just creates a file of null
bytes.

I've searched the archives of the list, but not run into this issue.  I'm
assuming (and will test) that this means that the NT 4.0 Workstations
negotiate a different NetBIOS leverl and/or protocal extension -- and that
my pre-compiled version of samba 1.9.18p8 is not handling the different
level of communcation correctly.

Anyone run into this before with that level of samba on AIX?

Nothing appears weird in the default debugging level, but I will be cranking
it up if I don't find the answer quickly :-)

Thanks ahead of time!

Alan
alan at chelz.com