Locking with M$-Access 97

Klaus Kappel kkappel at sha2000.de
Thu Jul 30 10:05:08 GMT 1998

This is a REAL problem on the way to world domination ;-)

PROBLEM:
since we moved a MS-Access MDB (16 Meg) to samba,
it ist killing queries more than twice a day, loosing records, ...
It seems the application has no chance to recognice locked records and
inform the user.
with smbstatus I get one locking entry for the first user accessing the
database (like: DENY_NONE   RDWR), the second is not in the locking list.
Is this behaviour normal?

FORMERLY: The database ran under one Win95 share (fast as a wiesel), did
inform the user about locked datasets,...

SERVER:
solid P75, 32MB, SCSI, D-Link PCI ETHERNET (BNC)
We are running samba 1.9.16p11 with debian 1.3.1
configured with DOMAIN-LOGONS (doesn't matter in this case, AFAIK)

smb.conf:
[global]
wins support = yes
guest account = nosmb
workgroup = kunde
security = user
os level = 64
lock directory = /var/lock/samba
domain logons = yes
sync always = yes

[cnc]
comment = database share
group = cnc
read only = no
locking = yes
path = /what/the/hell
create = 0770

CLIENTS:
3 PENTIUM, WIN95 OEM2B, Win TCP/IP,
local EXE-DIR

database application = exe
access 97 installed
---------

Has anyone out there experience in debugging this locking case, testify
the use of "fake oplocks", optimizing access databases running samba
servers?

with friendly regards                    mit freundlichen Gruessen

Klaus Kappel                             Klaus Kappel
(mailto:kkappel at sha2000.de)