Aliases for hostname don't work with 1.9.18p2

SI-Gaetan Boudreau boudreg at IRCM.UMontreal.CA
Fri Jan 30 07:28:17 GMT 1998

I have NIS+ aliases names for my servers and that used to work fine with
1.9.17p4.

For example:
the real name of the server is JUPITER and is alias is HOSTP.
The command NET USE S: \\HOSTP\PUBLIC worked OK until now.

But since I upgraded to 1.9.18p2 it doesn't anymore.  I have to issue the
command NET USE S: \\JUPITER\PUBLIC to make it work.  If I use the alias
name the PC gives me "Error 53: The computer name specified in the
network path cannot be located" (in a DOS Box).

The only other change that I made when switching to 1.9.17 to 1.9.18 is to
go from plain text to encrypted passwords with "encrypted = yes" and "smb
passwd file = /usr/local/samba/private/smbpasswd".

Gaetan Boudreau, ing/P.Eng.
Administrateur de reseau/Network Administrator
IRCM (Institut de recherches cliniques de Montreal/
      Clinical Research Institute of Montreal)

tel: 514-987-5563   fax: 514-987-5644
Internet E-Mail: Gaetan_Boudreau at IRCM.UMontreal.CA
Internet Web Site: http://www.ircm.umontreal.ca