Incredible!!! HUGE speed improvement

Tim Rand tim at stlouis.datapage.com
Mon Jan 26 14:49:40 GMT 1998

On 1/22/98, "Eloy A. Paris" <eparis at ven.ra.rockwell.com> wrote:
                                  faster
 >My conclussion is that is a lot ^^^^^^ to access a share through an
 >network drive than using its UNC path. I guess this is because
 >Windows 95 has to do a lot more work with the UNC path than with a
 >drive letter.

Eudora does a large number of file open and closes in processing messages.  I suspect that the speed issue has to do with overhead of looking up the machine on every open when you use the UNC path.  The extra lookups would slow down every UNC open by a large margin.

---
Being a Mac user is like being a Navy SEAL: a small, elite group of
people with access to the most sophisticated technology in the world, who
everyone calls on to get the really tough jobs done quickly and
efficiently.