Problems with SMBCLIENT

Charles Lawson-Glen charleslg at umed.denel.co.za
Fri Jan 23 10:12:34 GMT 1998

Hi all,

I am running SunOS 5.5.1 and am getting all sorts of problems.  I am urgently in need of help.
My Unix skills are limited.

My first problem is starting the daemons.
	bind failed on port 139 socket_addr=0 (Address already in use)

My second problem is the difference in the number of files dumped with either smbtar or
smbclient.  Here is the command that gives me the most problems. Notice the number of
dumped files in each case.  I also get an error with NAMSIZ.

smbclient '\\chuck\c' -N -Tc tar.out "\my documents" "\windows\desktop" "\windows\start menu"
arg 0 = \my documents
arg 1 = \windows\desktop
arg 2 = \windows\start menu
ERRDOS - ERRbadfile opening remote file \windows\Start Menu\Programs\Remote Desktop\What_s New about Remote Desktop 32.lnk
tar file \windows\Start Menu\Programs\PC Gamer December 97 Disc 3.9\Uninstall PC Gamer December 97 Disc 3.9.lnk name length exceeds NAMSIZ
tar: dumped 252 tar files
Total bytes written: 2941952

smbclient '\\chuck\c' -N -Tc tar.out "\my documents" "\windows\desktop" "\windows\start menu"
arg 0 = \my documents
arg 1 = \windows\desktop
arg 2 = \windows\start menu
ERRDOS - ERRbadfile opening remote file \windows\Start Menu\Programs\Remote Desktop\What_s New about Remote Desktop 32.lnk
tar file \windows\Start Menu\Programs\PC Gamer December 97 Disc 3.9\Uninstall PC Gamer December 97 Disc 3.9.lnk name length exceeds NAMSIZ
tar: dumped 236 tar files
Total bytes written: 2932224

smbclient '\\chuck\c' -N -Tc tar.out "\my documents" "\windows\desktop" "\windows\start menu"
arg 0 = \my documents
arg 1 = \windows\desktop
arg 2 = \windows\start menu
ERRDOS - ERRbadfile opening remote file \windows\Start Menu\Programs\Remote Desktop\What_s New about Remote Desktop 32.lnk
tar file \windows\Start Menu\Programs\PC Gamer December 97 Disc 3.9\Uninstall PC Gamer December 97 Disc 3.9.lnk name length exceeds NAMSIZ
tar: dumped 154 tar files
Total bytes written: 83456

smbclient '\\chuck\c' -N -Tc tar.out "\my documents" "\windows\desktop" "\windows\start menu"
arg 0 = \my documents
arg 1 = \windows\desktop
arg 2 = \windows\start menu
ERRDOS - ERRbadfile opening remote file \windows\Start Menu\Programs\Remote Desktop\What_s New about Remote Desktop 32.lnk
tar file \windows\Start Menu\Programs\PC Gamer December 97 Disc 3.9\Uninstall PC Gamer December 97 Disc 3.9.lnk name length exceeds NAMSIZ
tar: dumped 215 tar files
Total bytes written: 2923008

Thank you for taking the time to read this cry for help.

Charles Lawson-Glen
(South Africa)

P.S..  I hope you are watching the cricket.