process_node_status_request

Andrew J Cole A.J.Cole at cbl.leeds.ac.uk
Fri Jan 23 08:24:46 GMT 1998

I have recently noticed that our (ephemeral) nmb logs (1.9.18p1) for
Samba installations on several different subnets have been clocking up
a considerable number of these ...

process_node_status_request: status request for name *<00> from IP XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX on subnet REMOTE_BROADCAST_SUBNET - name not found.

where the IPs referenced are all over the world - some IPs appear time
and again in the log and others relatively infrequently (some servers
log none some are logging a hundred or so a day).

Is there an innocent explanation for these or are they perhaps
indicative of network probes which we should be tracking?

Andrew

ps. the fact that I noticed these speaks volumes for the stability of
    1.9.18p1.  Keep up the good work.