Encrypted passwords with UID 0 account (but not root)

Robert Dahlem Robert.Dahlem at frankfurt.netsurf.de
Thu Jan 22 21:53:39 GMT 1998

Hi there,

for testing encrypted passwords with NT4/SP3 I installed the smbpasswd
file as described in ENCRYPTION.txt, then did "smbpasswd <username>" on
some accounts and enabled encrytion support in smb.conf. This works fine
for normal user accounts, but not for my account, which is "dahlem" with
UID 0 (I always tested with [homes]. Since it was already late at night,
I had to stop testing for today, but here is what I think of it:

Is it possible, that the encryption routine only checks for the UID and
not really for the account name in smbpasswd? It seems to me that it
checks for the account name in /etc/passwd, returns from there with the
UID in an pw structure and then returns with the first hit on the found
UID in smbpasswd. Tomorrow I will be able to test this by setting an SMB
password on the real root account and trying from the workstation with
"dahlem" but root's password. But perhaps someone else already found out
about this issue and can send some valuable hints? Thanks in advance.

BTW: what are the UIDs in the smbpasswd file good for? Samba should
always check for the account name, shouldn't it?

Hasta la vista,
               Robert

<mailto:Robert.Dahlem at frankfurt.netsurf.de>