Problem with NT and samba - Us too...

Whiffen, Richard (Exchange) whiffen at ici.org
Thu Feb 19 19:21:06 GMT 1998

We're having the same problem that Hongwei describes in the second
half of his message below.  The interesting thing for us is that
Windows 3.11 users don't see the problem, but Win95 and WinNT users
do.  Some times when users log in, it asks them for a username and
password, and often times won't take the username and password.  Other
times, it works great.  We're stumped.

Some info:
Password server is NT 4.0 SP3

Unix server is SunOS 4.1.4 w/Samba 1.9.17p4

Smb.conf:

[global]
        workgroup = WORKGROUP
        server string = Applications and Home Directory Server
        guest ok = no
        password server = ICI3
        security = server
        local master = no
        lock directory = /var/tmp
        remote announce = 172.16.255.255/WORKGROUP
172.16.1.3/WORKGROUP

[home6]
        read only = no
        path = /home6
        create mask = 0775
        admin users = lafko
        comment = User Home Directories for SunOS

Hongwei Li (hongwei at morpheus.wustl.edu)
Wrote on:
Thu, 19 Feb 1998 09:26:30 +1100

Hi,

I have samba 1.9.17p4 on my Linux box (2.0.33), many Windows NT
workstation
4.0, and a Windows NT server 4.0.  My NT server has service pack3 and
I set
plain text password for it.
If I set 'security=user' in my smb.conf, NT users can not browse any
samba
drives on Linux.  I tried many different ways, and eventually found
that
ONLY 'security=server' AND 'password server=xxx', where xxx is the
name of
my NT server, can work.  (That is, if I use my Linux box as xxx, it
does not
work.)  It is okay if it does not show any problem.  However, from
time to
time (once or twice a week or so) NT users still have trouble to mount
samba
drives.  The log files show something like:

switch message SMBsesssetupX (pid 16776)
Domain=[MyDoanName]  NativeOS=[Windows NT 1381] NativeLanMan=[]
sesssetupX:name=[hongwei]
password server MyNTserverName rejected the password
02/18/98 14:32:11 error packet at line 537 cmd=115 (SMBsesssetupX)
eclass=2
ecode=
2
02/18/98 14:32:19 Transaction 11 of length 166

no matter how correctly I type my user name and password.  I use the
same
password on Linux box and NT server.   Then, I found if I kill smbd
and nmbd
on samba server, and restart smbd and nmbd, I can immediately mount
samba
drives without any problem -- I did not touch the NT server.   Does
anybody
have similar experience?  What is the actual reason for that?  What is
the
best way to let samba run smoothly?

I appreciate any information and help!

Hongwei Li