More on Encrypted passwords

Tim Winders twinders at SPC.cc.tx.us
Fri Feb 20 18:13:05 GMT 1998

On Fri, 20 Feb 1998, Simon Hyde wrote:

> On Fri, 20 Feb 1998 04:14:57 +1100, you wrote:
>
> >What if I HAVE an smbpasswd file but only one user is listed there.  If an
> >unlisted user tries to connect to a samba share will samba go to the
> >/etc/passwd file or will it use a guest login?
> >
> Nope, I'm afraid not. Whether to use encryption or not is negotiated before
> the username, Samba must therefore either reply 'encrypted' or
> 'unencrypted' without first knowing the username, you can configure it to
> guess which type to use by incoming machine names (using the config file=
> (or probably include= would do) directive and %m substitution), or setup an
> alias for your machine which is used for unencrypted logins (using 'netbios
> aliases=' and config file= with the %L substitution). See man smb.conf for
> more info on how to do this kind of stuff.
>
> Hope this is of help,

Yes, the include= sounds like it will do exactly what I want.  If I use
include = /usr/local/samba/lib/include.%m then, in my case, the machine is
called opt, if a file called include.opt exists, then it will be read in
place.  If this file includes encrypted passwords = yes then ONLY THAT
MACHINE will use encrypted passwords if I do not included this option in
the main smb.conf file.

Does this sound correct?  I have made these changes, but I have not had a
chance to test it yet...

|  Tim Winders, CNE              |  Email:  twinders at SPC.cc.tx.us   |
|  Network Administrator         |  Phone:  806-894-9611 x 2369     |
|  South Plains College          |  Fax:    806-897-4711            |