HELP! *wimper*

Scott D. Yelich scott at spy.org
Wed Feb 4 23:49:14 GMT 1998

I'm sure you guys/gals see a lot of these... but I've honestly tried and
tried (rtfm'd and such) until I'm frustrated beyond words.  I'm turning
here as a last resort before I resort to networking via wsftp as I have
been happily doing for quite some time now.

Any help, pointers or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Please
respond to me directly and if there is a way to do what I want/need,  I'd
be more than happy to summarize to the list.

Scott

---[ 8< CUT HERE ]--------

--- SITUATION ---

This is my home setup.  I'd like to get some peecee network going.
I've managed UNIX/INTERNET networks for quite some time, so I know
that lingo and don't have any problems getting them going no matter
what the complexity.  However, I have been completely denied any and
most all attempts to get a peecee network going -- even the simplest
of getting samba to do a single network reliably. I would appreciate
definitive answers as I have read the documentation for SAMBA (much of
it is out of date) and much of it doesn't help or gives
non-corresponding instructions.

--- NETWORK SETUP ---

ROUTER:
Cisco 2511, IOS 11.0,
	Serial 0: T1
	Serial 1: empty
	IP: 206.206.178.1, BROADCAST: 206.206.178.255
	IP (SECONDARY): 198.232.139.1, BROADCAST 198.232.139.255
        *ACCESS LISTS ARE IN PLACE*
	I have opened up DNS and TCP/139, UDP/137 between networks
	from  x.x.x.0/x.x.x.255 on each to x.x.x.0/x.x.x.255 on the
	other.
	DIAL IN IP @ IP: 206.206.178.5 and 206.206.178.6

SERVERS:
Sun Ultra 170, security.spy.org
	IP: 198.232.139.2, BROADCAST: 198.232.139.255
	SAMBA: 1.9.18p1, DOMAIN(?)=WORKGROUP
Sun SparcStation10 w/ 2 41MHz cpus, bidask.com
	IP: 206.206.178.2, BROADCAST: 206.206.178.2

CLIENTS:
Nec Versa M/100, 486/100 laptop, Win95b(OSR2), ticker.bidask.com
	IP: 206.206.178.5, BROADCAST: 206.206.178.255
Nec Versa P/75, P75 laptop, Win95b(OSR2), nomad.spy.org
	IP: 198.232.139.5, BROADCAST: 198.232.139.255
Generic, P][/266 desktop, Win95b(OSR2), bedroom.spy.org
	IP: 198.232.139.75, BROADCAST: 198.232.139.255

Question: I would like to have two domains, one "business" on
	  bidask.com that only sees bidask.com ("BUSINESS") but
	  is available for browsing by any client such as TICKER,
	  NOMAD or BEDROOM (ie: eventually from dialup ip)
	  -- AND -- have anothe workgroup "SPY" or "PRIVATE" on
	  security.spy.org but have this one *not* be visible from
	  the bidask.com network (ie: dialup).  Again, these are
	  two different class C (old style /24) networks.  Is this
	  possible?

	  I mean, I'd really like to be able to hit network neighborhood
	  and see workgroups "BUSINESS" and "PRIVATE" and then when I
	  select on one, get a login for that workgroup.  I think this
	  is probably a very alien way of doing this for the peecee, so
	  I'm not against having to specify the workgroup all over the
	  setup of all the peecees -- in this case, there will simply
	  be one workgroup -- "SPY" and I'd like it to go across two
	  class C networks with one network being the master and the
	  other being a slave or subsidiary to the master with all
	  wins and user passwords going through the master.

WHAT I AM TRYING TO DO:

	I am trying to set up a workgroup called ``WORKGROUP'' for
	now.  This will be served by BIDASK (bidask.com/206.206.178.2),
	and will be a master domain (whatever) server as well as a
	wins server (whatever) for *everything*.  I have been unable
	to get samba to run on security and on bidask and have them
	talk to each other without one causing the other to disappear
	(normally they *both* disappear).  I ahve managed, once, to
	get both SECURITY and BIDASK to both be "active" (but not appear
	everywhere) and even when I could see the servers, I couldn't
	browse them (error said couldn't find host? wins problem?)

	PROBLEMS:
	(1) Can't seem to get samba to allow browsing across networks.
	(2) Can't seem to find machine names across networks.
	(3) Can't make a lmhosts file (where is the documenation!!)
	    that works.  Keeps ignoring domain tags (and line?) and
	    saying that file syntax was obsolete or there were too
	    many columns *and* if it did take a line, it would *not*
	    take a machine with an IP off the local network!
	(4) I have different users and password on SECURITY and BIDASK
	    but I'm tired of getting the error message stating that there
	    wasn't a domain server to verify the login password -- ie:
	    the timeout was annoying and the error message moreso.

	WHAT I WOULD APRECIATE:

	(1) An example smb.conf showing a non-domain master (whatever)
	    for SECURITY with workgroup name "WORKGROUP" remote
	    syncing or advertising to BIDASK.  An example smb.conf
	    showing a master + wins for BIDASK.  This would, of course,
	    make security forward wins resolution to BIDASK and all
	    user logons would be via password (user level security?)
	    via the passwords stored on this server.
		-- OR --
	(2) Any refernce (url?) to a source that has *UP* *TO* *DATE*
	    *DOCUMENTATION* or *FAQ* or *HOWTO* on how to do this.  I
	    have read cross network stuff under 1.9.18pl2/docs/BROWSING.txt
	    but this doesn't seem to solve the problem.