mounting an arbitrary directory?

Darrin M. Gorski dgorski at ford.com
Tue Dec 15 18:05:36 GMT 1998

If I remember correctly, use path=/%S and then send a request for a
service like

\\server\usr_local_bin

which is converted by samba to usr/local/bin. I can't get to the machine
I'm using this on right now, so you may need to twiddle with it a bit.
There may have been more things I needed to set up (it's been a few years
since I changed the configs on that machine).

My memory stinks, so I may be way off... Check `man smb.conf`

Optionally, you could share the root filesystem with path=/ and then use
smbclient with the -D option to specify a starting directory. This would
be more useful from a script I should think.

smbclient '\\server\root' -D '/usr/local/bin' -c 'get filename'

On Tue, 15 Dec 1998, Steve Hsieh wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Is it possible to specify an arbitrary unix directory to be mounted from
> samba? For example, to mount /usr/local/bin ?  Using a different smb
> server, I've seen the ability to do this by doing something like

                                [Darrin]

--
"I have no special gift. I am only passionately curious." - A. Einstein

Darrin M. Gorski, Research Computer Systems Network Support
Scientific Research Laboratories, Ford Motor Company
Internet: dgorski at ford.com | Tel/Fax: +1 (313) 248-3753