problem with smbclient access to NT4.0 WS share

Chris Evans C.Evans at sghms.ac.uk
Thu Aug 27 13:32:49 GMT 1998

Thanks to all for a wonderful package.  It's sharing fine from my
Debian box but smbclient isn't working the other way round.  Here's
the detail:

I have three machines together: an NT4 Workstation (sp3), a
Win95 machine and a Debian (Hamm = latest stable release).  The
NT 4 machine has a shared drive I want to access from my Debian
machine.  I can access that share from the win95 machine.  I can
also access a shared directory on the Debian machine fine from
the NT machine (but not the Win95 but that doesn't bother me
unless it's a diagnostic clue).  I have been able to change
passwords on the NT machine from the Debian box using
smbpasswd and "smbclient -L //ntbox" works fine showing the
share there.  However, "smbclient //ntbox/share/" prompts for a
password and everything seems fine but if I give the correct
password I get "SMBtconX failed.  ERRDOS - ERRnosuchname
(You specified ... "
I've tried all uppercase for the password and the sharename (-L
shows it as lowercase) but no difference.  It looks as if the
password is not case sensitive since using all uppercase gives the
same response but deliberately giving an incorrect password gets a
different complaint correctly noting that access has been denied.

I've got the permissions for the Debian user account set correctly
on the NT box and testparm and the successful samba sharing to
the NT box seem to suggest things should work.

Anyone recognise this one?  Any suggestions?

TIA,

Chris