Need %o in passwd chat

Rainer Hauck hauck at informatik.uni-muenchen.de
Tue Aug 25 11:21:04 GMT 1998

Hi,

I've encountered the following problem: I set up a passwd chat which
seems to be working correctly. Obviously samba doesn't send the old
passwd (even if told so by %o) to the local passwd program. This is
explained by something like 'we're running as root, we don't need the
old password'. The problem is: In our environment I do need the old
password even if running as root. My question is:

Is there a way to provide my passwd program with the old password??

We're using NIS on HP UX 10.20 and Samba 1.9.18p8
I'm quite sure there's no problem with my chat file 'cause when
'hardcoding' the old password in the chat everything is working fine.

Thanks in advance

Rainer

Here are the interesting parts of my smb.conf:

    passwd chat debug = True
    unix password sync = True
    passwd program = /sbin/passwd %u
    passwd chat = Old*NIS*password: %o\n *New*password: %n\n *Retype*new*password:%n\n *The*NIS*passwd*has*been*changed*

--
        _  _ _  _ _  _          RAINER HAUCK
        |\/| |\ | |\/|          Institut fuer Informatik / Dept. of CS
        |  | | \| |  |          Ludwig-Maximilians-University Munich
     ======= TEAM =======       Oettingenstr. 67, 80538 Munich, Germany
Munich Network Management Team  Room D01,Phone +49-89-2178-2155,Fax-2262
Muenchner Netz-Management Team  email: hauck at informatik.uni-muenchen.de