xcopy failures; SAMBA digest 1784

Jim Mulholland jim.mulholland at peri.com
Wed Aug 19 15:11:31 GMT 1998

I had a simular problem in a single server (unix) environment with PC
clients although we were using NFS stack for drive maps. The issue is
came down to this: a MS-DOS pathspec cannot exceed 64 characters, with
the pathspec looking something like
'server_name:\directory\dir...\...\filename.ext". Your NT and Samba
systems are probably selected a SMB protocol like Core Plus or LAN Man
1.0, or some other SMB protocol that has this MS-DOS limitation.  Sorry
that I cant find the MS Technical document ID that supports this; but
you can spend a day or two and look it up at MS's internet site.

Although I used xcopy for migrating disks I have never found it
desirable to use. One slip and XCOPY does not copy hidden files or it
misses special permission files. I recommend the following alternatives:

Copy files between systems:
    GNU tar for wintel - Free, fast, reliable and can use compressed
files on the fly to save disk space.

Burn-in systems:
    Ghost (http://www.ghost.com/) - Very Fast, uses compressed files on
the fly and well worth its modest price ($10 per system). We can burn in
a workstation with a 300MB NT image in under 20 minutes! Ghost can also
be used to migrate NT systems to a larger disk drives.

Hope this helps.