Same machine but different users?!?! One for the books?

Edward Garbowski, Jr. exg at sabinmetal.com
Wed Aug 19 15:56:08 GMT 1998

I've posted this a couple times here, and a few times in the smb news
group, but with no luck.  Please, someone help!

My setup:
samba 1.9.18p8 running on a SCO Unix 5.0.4 machine called WORK (my smb.conf
file follows at the end)
NT 4.0 Server and workstations with a domain called TRIAL.

My problem:
I had one user (JOE) that could log onto his machine's domain (NT
workstation machine called JUNK) and then log onto the samba server fine.
 However, when he would log onto our domain (TRIAL), then the samba server
would keep asking him for a password.  If I tried to log onto the samba
server using any other login name while he was logged onto the TRIAL
domain, it would come back with a message saying that I had the wrong set
of credentials.  Also, if any other user logs onto the TRIAL domain from
his machine (JUNK), then that user can log onto the samba server without
any problems.  One other thing, if user JOE would log onto the domain TRIAL
from any other machine, then he could easily logon to the samba server from
there without any problems.

I finally "fixed" this problem by making a new user JOE2 and making him
logon with the new user name.  This worked OK for the time being, but NOW
it has happen again with a different user on a different machine!
 Yesterday, it worked for him...today it does not!  WHY?!?!

I noticed on this one, that I get the following message in the log file for
his machine:
	Password server loop - disabling password server WORK
	password server not available

This user is all mighty in our domain (admin, domain admin,...), so for
now, he logs on as administrator and then himself to the samba
server...this works!

HELP!

Thanks....smb.conf follows:

[global]

   workgroup = SABINMETAL

   server string = dfserver

   load printers = yes

   printcap name = /etc/printcap

   log file = /usr/local/samba/var/log.%m

   max log size = 50

   security = server
   password server = dfserver

   socket options = TCP_NODELAY

   wins proxy = yes

==============================
[homes]
   comment = Home Directories
   browseable = no
   writable = yes

[printers]
   comment = All Printers
   path = /usr/spool/samba
   browseable = no
# Set public = yes to allow user 'guest account' to print
   guest ok = no
   writable = no
   printable = yes

# This one is useful for people to share files
[tmp]
   comment = Temporary file space
   path = /tmp
   read only = no