Samba-1.9.18p9 Rollout Stopped

Samba-Central samba at aquasoft.com.au
Fri Aug 14 04:18:00 GMT 1998

Folks,

Some of us have announced a planned rollout of a final
samba-1.9.18 series patch update scheduled for Monday
August 17th.

This has now been STOPPED due to a VERY obscure
directory hanlding bug that has been found and that
we believe must be fixed.

In view of the fact that a few people now have the sources
for samba-1.9.18p9 we are completely stopping the release
of this version and will prepare samba-1.9.18p10 in a
day or so. This has the down side that we must again
go through the quality control cycle and preparation of
binary packages before scheduled release.

We are calling this update samba-1.9.18p10 so as to avoid
the possibility of confusion. We really do hope this will
be the final update release. There are about 19 significant
fixes since 18p8 so far. These will be detailed in the
WHATSNEW.txt file in the root directory of the source tarball.

A forward release announcement will be made when initial
quality processes have been completed.

We (the Samba-Team) are increasingly conscious of the
need for quality control. Our user base continues to
grow as does the number of different platforms we must
now support.

The samba-2.0 source tree has recently been ported to
Autoconf to make cross platform support a less
onerous problem. This is good news for everyone. The
down side is that samba-2.0 is still quite a way from
being ready for general use.

This leaves us with the necessity to issue one more patch
update to the samba-1.9.18 series before firmly closing
off this code tree so that ALL development efforts can
be channelled into samba-2.0. You can no doubt appreciate
that we really want to get the new Windows NT domain control
code into your hands sooner rather than later.

We apologise for any inconvenience caused by delays in
release of the final update for the 1.9.18 series.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind regards,
John H Terpstra
on behalf of the Samba-Team