Releasing file locks

Charlie Brady cbrady at ind.tansu.com.au
Fri Aug 7 00:47:12 GMT 1998

On Fri, 7 Aug 1998, Matt JD Aldridge wrote:

> > Date: Wed, 05 Aug 1998 08:03:32 -0400
> > From: "Thomas G. Tri" <ttri at skees.com>
..
> > If one of the PCs "crashes", SAMBA continues to maintain the
> > file locks (ie
> > SMB deny modes) in its internal list.  Is there a way, short
> > of rebooting
> > the server, to have SAMBA release those locks.
>
> I had this problem.  I tried setting the SO_KEEPALIVE socket option in
> smb.conf, but this seemed to have no effect, so I set keepalive = 30 in
> smb.conf which works great, the smbd closes itself down after a minute or
> two of the client machine crashing.
>
> Should this be a default option, or should its potential usefulness be made
> more obvious in the documentation.  FYI I am running 1.9.18p8 on Solaris
> 2.5.  With Win 95 and NT it is not uncommon to have clients crash on you :).

Im my experience, the worst problem with maintained locks from crashed
machines is locks held by the machine which crashed. That is, windoze box
crashes, user reboots it and tries to resume what they were doing before.
My understanding is that samba works over a single TCP connection, and
there is one and only one per client. If that is the case, the smbd for
the new connection could detect the existing TCP connection, and tell it
to go away gracefully.

Comments?

Charlie Brady - Telstra  |internet: cbrady at ind.tansu.com.au
Network Products         |Snail    : Locked Bag 6581, GPO Sydney 2001 Australia
Platform Technologies    |Physical : Lvl 2, 175 Liverpool St, Sydney 2000
 IN-Sub Unit - Sydney    | Phone: +61 2 9206 3470 Fax: +61 2 9281 1301