logging out hangs win95 consistently

Charles Owens owensc at enc.edu
Wed Sep 10 15:18:07 GMT 1997

On Tue, 9 Sep 1997, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:

> charles,
>
> the only thing that i can suggest is that you try and do what i just
> attempted, just now.  if it doesn't work, i'll let you in on a small
> secret hack that might have something to do with it (to do with code
> pages and country codes, in NetUserGetInfo).
>
> from a fresh boot-up, instead of logging on to the w95 machine, press
> escape.  then, close progs, log off, and when you get the dialog prompt
> again, _again_ press escape (this procedure is to _stop_ the w95 machine
> from thinking that the previous users' profile is the default one.
>
> then, backup and then delete the entire contents of the c:\windows\profiles
> directory.  **** NOTE IF SOME OF YOUR USERS HAVE STORED ANY FILES ON THE
> DESKTOP, YOU WILL BE DOING THEM A REALLY BAD FAVOUR BY NOT BACKING UP
> THIS DIRECTORY ***
>
> then, delete all c:\windows\*.pwl files.
>
> then, in each user profile directory on the samba server, delete the
> user.dat files.  i haven't deleted the entire contents of the remote
> profile directory, and i don't think it's necessary.
>
> check the keyboard settings, country settings etc etc.
>
> then log in some users, log them out, and see if it creates USER.DAT files.
>
> if that doesn't work, then... well.  i started throwing mice around.  then
> went upstairs for some hot milk and some salt and vinegar crisps.
>
> luke

I haven't tried this procedure explicitly, because I don't think it
applies in my case, especially for my lab computers.  When they're logged
in a logon script runs that does the following:

	deltree c:\windows\profiles
	mount net drives, printers
	etc.

Password caching is turned off on all machines via samba-served system
policies.  All share mounting is done via the logon script, not password
lists.

The default logon account does not have a home directory at all.  Also, in
a fit of desperation, I've disabled roving profile loading on these lab
systems by adding the registry entry:

	Hkey_Local_Machine\Network\Logon\UseHomeDirectory=DWORD:0

	(Win95 Resource Kit, page 487)

Still the problem happens...

It happens on systems that have been in place for months and on systems
that I've reintalled from the ground up just this week.

              ---------------------------------------

Here's where I get a bit rash:  ;-)

In 1.19.17 roving profiles are listed as being more properly supported.
>From this I infer that any previous support was only a subset of the
complete functionality as exhibited by WinNT.  Fine and dandy.

Even though this support in 1.19.16pX was not complete, as far as I was
aware it worked with the functionality that I'd expect.  (ie. when I log
in, user.dat gets loaded.  when I log out, it gets saved.  every time!)
And, most importantly, the current "locking up when logging out" behavior
never happened!

Given that this bug is a REALLY BAD THING, in that it really screws up
things for many a samba user, I'd like you to consider the following
courses of action:

	1. produce an iterim release with all roving profiles
		code reverted to 1.19.16p11 state.

	- or -

	2. produce an iterim release with all roving profiles
		code disabled

Obviously #1 would be preferred, but I can live without roving profiles
for a while, but I can't live with this bug.

Certainly the root cause of this bug needs to be found, but I'm sure we'd
all prefer stability to be the priority.  It is a shame that all of the
other great advances in the current release are married with this bug.

Thanks very much,

Chuck

> On Wed, 10 Sep 1997, Charles Owens wrote:
>
> > Greetings,
> >
> > First of all, let me say once again what a truly nifty thing samba is.
> > The performance and functionality improvements with 1.9.17 are just great!
> >
> > Now for the bad news.  ;-)  It seems that something has crept into this
> > new version that causes my Win95 clients to almost always hang when the
> > user logs out! Here's the specifics:

---
  Charles N. Owens                               Email:  owensc at enc.edu
                                             http://www.enc.edu/~owensc
  Network & Systems Administrator
  Information Technology Services  "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's
  Eastern Nazarene College         best friend.  Inside of a dog it's
                                   too dark to read." - Groucho Marx