logging out hangs win95 consistently

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at switchboard.net
Tue Sep 9 19:53:16 GMT 1997

charles,

the only thing that i can suggest is that you try and do what i just
attempted, just now.  if it doesn't work, i'll let you in on a small
secret hack that might have something to do with it (to do with code
pages and country codes, in NetUserGetInfo).

from a fresh boot-up, instead of logging on to the w95 machine, press
escape.  then, close progs, log off, and when you get the dialog prompt
again, _again_ press escape (this procedure is to _stop_ the w95 machine
from thinking that the previous users' profile is the default one.

then, backup and then delete the entire contents of the c:\windows\profiles
directory.  **** NOTE IF SOME OF YOUR USERS HAVE STORED ANY FILES ON THE
DESKTOP, YOU WILL BE DOING THEM A REALLY BAD FAVOUR BY NOT BACKING UP
THIS DIRECTORY ***

then, delete all c:\windows\*.pwl files.

then, in each user profile directory on the samba server, delete the
user.dat files.  i haven't deleted the entire contents of the remote
profile directory, and i don't think it's necessary.

check the keyboard settings, country settings etc etc.

then log in some users, log them out, and see if it creates USER.DAT files.

if that doesn't work, then... well.  i started throwing mice around.  then
went upstairs for some hot milk and some salt and vinegar crisps.

luke