Turning samba off, some NT systems hang

Daigle, Sheldon sdaigle at securitydynamics.com
Tue Sep 9 17:45:43 GMT 1997

I've had samba installed on 3 Sun SPARC systems running solaris 2.5.1
for about 4 months now. We're having some problems with our network and
I want to shut samba off so I can start debugging the problem without
worrying about samba in the background. I have samba, both smbd and
nmbd, configured in my /etc/inetd.conf files as the documentation says.
Whenever I shut samba off, I have about five 4.0 NT systems, out of
about 50, that hang on the login splash screen after a reboot. If I turn
smba back on, eveyone works fine.

Does anyone out there have any idea why? I can't believe I can't shut
samba off without hanging some NT systems on bootup. I do know it's the
nmbd service on one of my Sparc systems causing the problem. My
configuration is as follows:

In my /etc/services files on each system
netbios-ns      137/udp                         # For Samba support
netbios-ssn     139/tcp                         # For Samba support

In my /etc/inetd.conf files on each system
netbios-ssn stream tcp nowait root /usr/local/bin/smbd smbd
netbios-ns dgram udp wait root /usr/local/bin/nmbd nmbd

I'm not even sharing anything with samba at this point. All I have
running are the processes themselves.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Sheldon Daigle