Novell and Samba

Eric Knudstrup eknuds at extremenetworks.com
Tue Sep 9 17:10:19 GMT 1997

>Date: Mon, 8 Sep 1997 08:46:34 -0700
>From: vbaca at lx8.Coded.COM (Virginia L. Baca)
>To: samba at samba.anu.edu.au

>I hope I'm not insulting you all by bringing up the six
>letter word "Novell".   I have a need to access the data
>from a database housed on a Novell server.  All I want
>to do is mount the Novell filesystem on my Solaris 2.5.1
>server and use the data in Solaris analysis programs.

>Samba works great for me with PCs and I thought I heard
>there was some work going on for Novell.  How far away is
>this feature  or will it ever be.   Most Novellites
>would purchase a module to do, but we are not looking at
>our own system, it is a customer's system and we will
>be analysing the customer's data.  Sun and other vendors
>are dropping their support of this software.  I'm forced
>to look elseware and I don't want to go to Novell for the
>solution.

>It doesn't have to be freeware, it just has to work and be
>supported if we need it.

As Luke replied, there is a Novell version of Samba.  (Haven't tried it
myself.  Best of luck.)
It seems like you could use this with smbtar to get those files off of
the Netware server.
Your next best solution would be to set up a Linux system, copy the
files off of the NW server and into an NFS'd directory (or use ftp.)
I think there is a problem with NFS reexporting SMB/NCP mounts  from
Linux because of the lack of inodes in the latter.

Eric