anyone with 1.9.17 browsing problems

Ole Holm Nielsen ohnielse at fysik.dtu.dk
Tue Sep 2 08:28:08 GMT 1997

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <lkcl at switchboard.net> wrote:
> i've just spotted a potential browse problem with 1.9.17.

We don't have any NT servers, but only SAMBA servers.  Browsing from
Windows 95 PCs across subnets has *not* been working properly in any of
the 1.9.17alpha? releases nor the final one, and I have sent a number
of problem reports on this.

In the best case, Win95 shows in Entire Network the remote-subnet
workgroup names, but one cannot browse the contents of the workgroups,
other than the main workgroup to which the SAMBA servers belong.  The
SAMBA WINS server seems to be working correctly, since by specifying a
(known) remote PC WINS name, one can browse it just fine (but not its
parent workgroup).  However, some Win95 variants (various languages,
levels and patches from Microsoft) installed here can only see
local-subnet workgroups and no remote ones.  Needless to say, we're
really anxious to get remote-subnet browsing to work.

Ole Holm Nielsen
Department of Physics, Building 307
Technical University of Denmark, DK-2800 Lyngby, Denmark
E-mail: Ole.H.Nielsen at fysik.dtu.dk
WWW URL: http://www.fysik.dtu.dk/persons/ohnielse.html
Telephone: (+45) 4525 3187
Telefax:   (+45) 4593 2399