Updating smb.conf without restarting samba

Dave Lawson DAVELA at menasco.com
Tue Sep 2 14:01:56 GMT 1997

>>At 10:22 PM 8/29/97 +1000, Nick Parker wrote:
>>>Can anyone tell me if it's possible to get samba to re-read smb.conf while
>>>it's running. At the moment everytime I make changes in smb.conf I kil all
>>>samba processes and re-run samba. Is there a better way?
>>
>>I don't know what version you're running but, if I'm only making changes to
>>"shares" then it does re-read after I've updated the smb.conf file. I
>>believe that it checks smb.conf on each browse request, but I'm not sure.
>>In any case, I usually do not have to re-boot Samba in order to propogate
>>the updates, unlike adding Virtual Hosts to Apache (<sigh>, guess what
>>*i've* been workin' with ...).
>
>>Roeland M.J. Meyer (RM993)

I usually use a script to refresh samba.  I kill and restart nmbd and
smbd processes owned by root and leave all other users smbd processes
running.  On AIX under root user I use:

kill `ps -ef | grep nmbd | awk '{print $2}'` 2>/dev/null
kill `ps -ef | grep smbd | grep root | awk '{print $2}'` 2>/dev/null
/usr/local/samba/bin/nmbd -D -G WORKGROUP -n SAMBASERVERNAME
/usr/local/samba/bin/smbd -D -a

or

kill `ps -ef | grep 'usr/local/samba/bin' | grep root | awk '{print
$2}'` 2>/dev/null
/usr/local/samba/bin/nmbd -D -G WORKGROUP -n SAMBASERVERNAME
/usr/local/samba/bin/smbd -D -a

Some extra options to the kill command might be a better solution than
what I use.
Regards, Dave Lawson, Menasco Aerospace, Oakville, Ontario, Canada
davela at menasco.com