TCP/IP

Christopher R. Hertel crh at NTS.Umn.EDU
Mon Oct 6 14:45:15 GMT 1997

I'm going to try this again...  Please excuse the fat-fingering that
caused the previous incomplete posting to go out.  (Uuuurgh!)

I had not seen a reply to the message below in the digests (might have
missed it, I s'pose), so here's my 2cents...

Samba currently doesn't do NetBEUI.  If you can see your Samba shares,
it's because your clients are running NetBIOS over TCP/IP.  This is a
better solution in any case.  We generally advise that NetBEUI be turned
off on all nodes.

If the machines on the other side of the router are running NetBIOS over
TCP/IP, then they should be able to see the Samba shares *if* you are
running a WINS server.  You need to have some means of sharing the
NetBIOS names across the two subnets.  The best bet is to run nmbd on the
Samba server and tell all of your clients that this is their local WINS
server.

Chris -)-----