preserving UNIX file permissions

Bishop se311309 at cr10m.staffs.ac.uk
Mon Oct 6 16:37:57 GMT 1997

Hi, I have a small household network and I am providing access to home
directories on the server via Samba, so that we can edit files from the
other PCs even if they are in win95.  One annoying thing however is that
every time a file is edited and then saved it's permissions are set to
whatever the share's create mask is set to.

This wouldn't be such a problem, but it seems that even with create mask =
777 I can't get any files to be created with group or other execute
permission.  This is playing havoc for people who want to edit their perl
CGI scripts from Windows, as they then have to log into the server anyway
to chmod them back to 755 or whatever.

Is there a way to fix this?  Is it obvious, and I just haven't read the
right bits of the manual?  Or am I misunderstanding some basic principle
of Samba?

Hope you can halp!

Andy