problem with self-extracting exefiles on samba-drive (again)

Jeremy Allison jallison at whistle.com
Mon Nov 24 18:13:40 GMT 1997

> If you place the exe-file in a directory called "12345678.123"
> ( 8.3 filename ), there is no problem.
>
> If you place the exe-file in a directory called "123456789" ( long filename),
> you get a message window which says it couldn't locate the exe-file.

This is a known bug with NT4.x and long directory names with
a 16 bit executable. NT behaves the same way if you try to
run the binaries from a Win95 server in a long directory name.

However, I believe the problem is related to the fact
that Samba does not support NT-specific SMB calls. When
we add these (on the to-do list) this should be fixed
with Samba (I'll announce it in the WHATSNEW when it's
done :-).

In the meantime you could add a short name symbolic link to
the long directory name and execute the 16 bit self extracting
files from there.

Hope this helps,

	Jeremy Allison,
	Samba Team.