problem with self-extracting exefiles on samba-drive (again)

Andrej Borsenkow borsenkow.msk at sni.de
Mon Nov 24 16:55:01 GMT 1997

On Tue, 25 Nov 1997 reniers at natlab.research.philips.com wrote:

> Here is the problem ....
>
> We are running samba on SGI/SUN/HP file-servers.
> We have about 600 concurrent clients.
>
> We are using samba version 1.9.17p4 en have a problem with
> self extracting exe-files on a samba-mounted disk from NT 4.0.
> ( This problem also exists with earlier versions of samba e.g. 1.9.16p11 )
>
> If you place the exe-file in a directory called "12345678.123"
> ( 8.3 filename ), there is no problem.
>
> If you place the exe-file in a directory called "123456789" ( long filename),
> you get a message window which says it couldn't locate the exe-file.

Yes, it happens if you try run a 16 bit application (e.g. WinZIP
se-archive). Note, that it does *not* happen if I run *the same*
application from NT server. To test is very simple:

  create self-extracting archive e.g. with WinZIP (be shure to mark
  16 bit)

  rename archive to something like 123456789.exe

  try to start it from SAMBA - you get error message "123456789.exe not
  found"

  Now, copy *the same* archive to NT server and run it from there - runs
  perfectly. Note, that WinZIP gets mangled name - something like
  123456~1.exe

Most probably, there *is* a difference in API calls between 32 and 16 bit
programs, which are not taken into account by SAMBA. Working on WinNT 4.0
I could not force SAMBA (1.9.18alpha11) to mangle names at all - in
spite of *all* mangling parameters set to yes.

Note, that the same problem applies to directories as well - currently I
am forced to name all directories on SAMBA in 8.3 format, because LFNs
make installations of 16 bit programs fail (the same names on NT work
fine). Not very handy.

Andrej Borsenkow 		Fax:   +7 (095) 252 01 05
SNI ITS Moscow			Tel:   +7 (095) 252 13 88

NERV:  borsenkow.msk		E-Mail: borsenkow.msk at sni.de